Farmers’ markets and direct-to-consumer opportunities are growing across the state.
Farmers’ markets and direct-to-consumer sales continue to be an important source of fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy and other value added agricultural products from small towns to large metropolitan areas. In 2022, more than 95 farmers' markets were registered with the Kansas Department of Agriculture's Central Registration of Farmers' Markets.
The 2023 Farmers' Market/Direct-to-Consumer Workshops were held virtually February 6-10, 2023. Below are the recordings and resources shared during the 2023 sessions.
Lunch & Learn Session Resources:
- Accepting SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) /EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) - MarketLink
- MarketLink Overview Flyer
- Double Up Food Bucks - Mid-America Regional Council & K-State Research and Extension
- Meat and Poultry Regulations - Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Kansas Value Added Meats Lab - K-State Research & Extension
- Article: Proposed Regulatory Framework to Reduce Salmonella Illnesses Attributable to Poultry - The Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS)
- Kansas Sales Tax - Kansas Department of Revenue
- Food Safety Regulations - Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Kansas Value Added Foods Lab - K-State Research & Extension
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Information for Farmers and Growers
- *Note: An interactive training session for the Kansas Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program is required this year for ALL farmers who wish to participate in the SFMNP (new AND returning farmers). Interactive training may occur during this training scheduled for Feb. 10 other trainings that KDHE will be scheduling in due course. All farmers must submit an annual agreement to KDHE.
- Pet Treat Label Handout - What is required on a label? What does the label on your pet food product tell you?
- Pet Treat Label Video
- Live Plants
- Kansas Live Plant Dealer License Handout - What you need to know before landscaping, distributing, or selling plants in Kansas.
- Selling Live Plants in Kansas - Guidance for Farmers' Market Vendors